Difference in design
The new Furby design was almost double the size of the original and featured a rubber beak, proper plastic feet (opposed to fabric material ones), bigger ears, eyes with more detail, no tail (Except for Funky Furbys) and a different shape. It also has an on/off/demo switch (Funky Furby just has a on/off switch).
Functions and abilities
2005 Furby has a tummy sensor and a back sensor, much like 1998 Furby. Without the sensor between its eyes, she can not sense changes in light nor can it communicate with Furbys from other generations (though you can make it talk with other 2005 Furbys). It can also eat when its mouth sensor is pushed (or pushed down with a Furby spoon).
This series of Furby focused on being able to understand speech and respond accordingly, rather than just recognizing loud sounds. To get its attention, You must say 'Hey Furby!' Once Furby makes a sound, you can give it a command.
- 'Sing me a song' will make it sing 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star', in Furbish or English, depending on how long it has been played with.
- 'Tell me a joke' will make it tell one of its favorite 7 knock-knock jokes.
- 'Show me your dance' will make it sing and dance. (Funky Furby will not dance unless music is played.)
- 'Tell me a story' - it will tell you about its life story and its home on Furby Island in Furbish or English, depending on how long it has been played with.
- 'Do you want to play?' will make it play its favorite game of 'red light, green light'.
Furby will tell you the rules of how to play. You come when it says "Green light!". You stop when it says "Red light!" You tickle it when its eyes are closed, you win.If you tickle it when its eyes are open, the Furby will win! If you tickle it too hard, the Furby wins! First, you have to go 10 steps away from the Furby. When it says "Here we go!", the game will start.The Furby will try to trick you when it says "Grrreeeeeee-Red light!". At the end of the game, it will ask you if you want to play again.
- 'Go to sleep' - Furby enters sleep mode and will wake up when you whistle, shout or clap very loud, make loud noises such as stomping your feet on the floor or press its belly.
- "I Love You" - Will make Furby happy. It will also make it more likely to carry out commands and learn English more quickly. It sometimes burps when you say that.
- 'I speak Furbish' - you can speak any of the above commands in Furbish.
- When it plays a game, the Furby says "I got you! I win!". It can't touch you, but you can touch it.
A 45-minute TV special, Furby Island, was produced in 2005. It features a young girl, Maddie, her brother, and their explorer parents, who travel the world looking for rare plants and animals. When Maddie tries to find a lizard, they discover Furby Island. They keep the Furbies from being captured by Doctor Conquest.
The movie itself aired only a few times (even for the launch of Furby 2012 on The Hub (now Discovery Family)), and is very rare to find, especially in the official DVD format.
Funky Furby is the first and last special edition of Generation 2.0. It has unique speech and can be taught to dance and sing 3 songs (Furby Hip Hop, Sing Calypso Music, Be Happy All Day! and Twinkle Techno) when music is played. It also has a long tail with multicolored streaks in it. Due to poor sales in the USA, Funky Furby was only sold in Canada, Spain, Italy and the UK. More special editions were planned, but were never released. Funky Furby was sold for about 3 months in 2007 before being discontinued. This is around the time 2005 Furby's production was halted. Funky Furby came in 3 Colors: purple and green, pink and yellow, and blue and magenta (an Italy exclusive).